Padres fans’ disappointment in the Padres 2012-13 off-season, when they did nothing to upgrade anything about the roster, has been well documented.
But, that was last year. What does this off-season hold in terms of potential free agent signings?
We’ve already seen changes, as Clayton Richard was shown the door (but there is always the chance that he comes back) last week. Colt Hynes was traded to the Cleveland Indians for cash. Mark Kotsay has retired.
Josh Byrnes has already given us this off-season’s “big believer in belief” moment, according to Jim Bowden of ESPN:
Josh Byrnes told us the Padres biggest needs this off-season include; 1. LH Reliever 2. LH Bat 3. Better Health 4. General Up-Grades
— JIM BOWDEN (@JimBowdenESPNxm) November 4, 2013
“General up-grades.” Yeah, that’s definitely a priority.
Josh Byrnes told us the Padres biggest needs this off-season include; 1. General Up-grayedds pic.twitter.com/5hDb2DYDvR
— Vocal Minority (@VocalMinoritySD) November 5, 2013
Padres Have No Absolutely Chance of Signing Any of These Guys
- Robinson Cano, 2B
- Masahiro Tanaka, SP
- Jacoby Ellsbury, CF
- Brian McCann, C – Someone has to take over policing the player’s parking lot for Clayton Richard. But it won’t be McCann.
- Omar Infante, UT – They already have Alexi Amarista, and Infante was Amarista before Amarista was Amarista.
Deluxe Quarter Pounder
Little to No Chance of Signing
Premium Chicken Sandwich
Interesting But Unlikely
- Shin-Soo Choo, OF – The Padres reportedly were interested in him last year. But I don’t see anything that has changed that would bring him here.
- Ervin Santana, SP – See Choo.
- Matt Garza, SP
- A.J. Burnett, SP
- J.P. Howell, RP
- Boone Logan, RP
McRib Combo with Extra McRib for $1
Ewww…Gross! Don’t Even Think About It, Byrnes
- Brian Wilson, RP – I can’t. I just can’t.
- Lance Berkman, DH – The Padres already have an oft-injured DH in Carlos Quentin.
- Juan Uribe, 3B
- Edward Mujica, RP
- Edinson Volquez, SP – EVHAU notwithstanding.
- Barry Zito, SP
- Jon Garland, SP
- Jeff Francoeur, OF
- Yuniesky Betancourt, UT
- Oliver Perez, RP
I know, there’s a lot of ex-Padres on this list. That’s kind of the point. They’re ex-Padres for a reason, in most cases.
Bacon & Cheese Quarter Pounder
Because Bacon Makes Everything Better, aka Who I Would Like To See the Padres Target
- Matt Garza, SP
- Ricky Nolasco, SP
- Joaquin Benoit, RP
- Grant Balfour, RP
- Dan Haren, SP
- Scott Kazmir, SP
- Scott Feldman, SP
- Manny Parra, RP
Notice there’s no position players on that list? I still think the rotation and bullpen need more upgrading than anything else. Maybe they can make some trades to upgrade the outfield or catcher.
Agree? Disagree? Prefer Taco Bell? Tell me how stupid I am in the comments or yell at me on Twitter.