From a chili patio in Peoria, Arizona at Zero Dark Thirty, the Mighty 1090’s Lee “Hacksaw” Hamilton discussed baseball with SB Nation’s Rob Neyer. With icicles dangling from his ample mustache, Hacksaw and Neyer talked about topics ranging from the Biogenesis clinic in south Florida to the Angels, Dodgers, and Padres.
On PEDs . . .
- Neyer doesn’t think that everyone connected to the South Florida clinic is innocent. But not everyone is guilty either. There’s little context for what some of the guys purchased and for some there is nothing listed at all.
- There are so many guys on the list that a lot of the guys will eventually be forgotten. If there aren’t big names ( e.g. Alex Rodriguez, Manny Ramirez, et al) they’ll be forgotten by the media and people won’t really care.
- Biogenesis founder, Anthony Bosch, does not appear to be a stable person. And he’s the interesting story. He’s shady!
On the Los Angeles Dodgers . . .
- It’s possible that they run away with the West. He’s not predicting it but they could win 100 games.
- They’re really deep and have strong pitching. It’s hard to see them not as the favorite. Which is kinda weird since they didn’t even make the playoffs last year. But hey, they’re the favorite.
On Josh Hamilton and the The Angels Angels of Anaheim . . .
- Hamilton is a really good player but he’s moving from one of the best hitters parks in the American League to one of the best pitchers parks in the American League.
- Long term people shouldn’t expect him to generate the same raw stats that he did before.
- Hamilton is replacing Torii Hunter who was really good so he’s not making them that much better -Hamilton makes the Angels . . . the same.
On Your San Diego Padres . . .
- Ownership was a mess. Now it’s better. Good shape long term. Revenues will be an issue though.
- It’s not going to be a good season. It’ll be a replay of last year!
- The Padres will fight with the Rockies for last place.
- They have a good group of young players.
- It’s about patience at this point.
Patience, people. Patience.
Patiently discuss amongst yourselves . . .
I contribute to Padres Public on Thursday mornings and when I’m feeling particularly inspired. I can also be found on twitter at @AvengingJM where I offer bite size chunks of joy 7 days a week.