Back on August 7th I offered up a poll to see how fans thought the Padres would perform over the remaining 50 games. Of those who voted nearly 80% felt that the Padres would finish below .500 (24 wins or fewer).
Since then the Padres have played 10 games, compiling a record of 2-8. Extrapolated over the next 40 games the Padres would finish with a record of 10-40. Uh . . . yikes! But baseball doesn’t work that way does it? Let’s examine the particulars before we ask people to begin voting again.
Let’s look at the positives things the Padres have going for them right now:
- Tyson Ross: Joe Ross’s big brother appears to be ironing things out on the hill and could be a valuable cog in the pitching machine for the remainder of 2013 and beyond.
- Andrew Cashner: Cash had a few rough starts but his strikeout tally looked good the other night.
- Ian Kennedy: The newcomer didn’t look so hot last night but he still struck-out 7 batters in 4.2 innings which is encouraging. He also looked good in his first two starts in Padre blue, gray, whatever.
- Will Venable!
- Kyle Blanks is returning! I think!
Here’s some sour milk! Smell it! Now drink it!
Alright, let’s get real folks. Which negatives exist to ensure the Padres stay on their current pace of .200 baseball? Let’s see:
- Everth Cabrera: He’s still suspended which means more of Ronny Cedeno at shortstop and Will Venable’s sub-.300 OBP in the lead-off spot.
- Carlos Quentin: The one legitimate hitter in the Padres hitter has the knees of Great-Great-Grandma AJM which means we won’t likely see the slugger until 2014. Hopefully the DH comes to the NL next season.
- Edinson Volquez: He could pitch a no-hitter in the next 5 weeks and come October we would all still want him on the street because of all those miserable starts surrounding his occasional glimmer of light.
- Will Venable?
- Chase Headley: I’m tired. I can’t do this anymore.
So there you have it. Use these pros, cons, and a 2-8 record over their previous 10 games to help inform your decision. I’m going to give a very similar poll to the previous one and you can adjust your vote accordingly or keep it the same.
Use the comments section to explain yourself . . . cowards!
I contribute to Padres Public on Thursday mornings and when I’m feeling particularly inspired. I can also be found on twitter at @AvengingJM. The dusty archives of AJM are located at avengingjm.blogspot.com